Friday, May 8th – A dog’s life.
Snow is not forecast until tomorrow so why is it snowing this morning? It’s around 6:30 and Eddie wants to go out. I put on my boots and jacket while Eddie waits impatiently pawing at the door with his right foot. Trixie growls as I roust her from under the covers. If I don’t make her go now, she’ll want to go out as soon as Eddie and I return.
As we step outside, I see our awning is sagging. I’ve been leaving it out to protect us from the rain but the unexpected snow will damage it if I leave it up much longer. As soon as T&E finish their business, I’ve got to roll it in.
The Zip Dee awning that came with our Airstream is supported by a bracket on each end and one in the middle. To take the awning in, I use one hand to support its weight and the other to disengage the brackets. Just this little bit of snow results in a surprising amount of weight. Once all the brackets are released, the awning usually rolls up on its own. That’s not happening because of the snow so I have to give it a little help. The snow is wet and heavy making things difficult. As I roll up the awning, it moves higher in the air and my arms begin to reach up over my head. As I do this, melted snow runs down my hands and wrists and makes its way inside my jacket sleeves. My shirt underneath becomes soaked with freezing water. I utter a few cuss words under my breath and keep going. If I let go, the awning will roll back out and I’ll have to start all over again. What an awful experience. With the awning safely stowed and my shirt soaking wet, I go back inside and find T&E snuggled back in the bed with Cindy. Dogs sure have it made (or at least ours do).
Sunday May 10th – We’re staying as long as it takes.
We arrived at Rocky Mountain National Park Wednesday and it’s been raining or snowing off and on ever since. The sun peaks out periodically but clouds continue to blanket the mountain tops. We’re staying in Moraine campground, the only campground in the park that’s open year-round. It’s still early in the season. Moraine CG is first come, first served until May 21st when reservations are accepted. We’re determined to see the mountains so we plan to stay until we have a sunny day.
It was 23 degrees last night and this cold front is forecast to chase away the clouds tomorrow. We’re going for a drive up to Bear Lake today. As I wait for Cindy to get ready, I walk around the campground to take photos of the elk and deer that wonder through.
With Cindy and T&E in the truck, we head for Bear Lake. Many of the park’s roads are still closed for the winter but we like being here this time of year. The park is empty of visitors as are the restaurants and shops in nearby Estes Park. Judging by the number of hotels and rental cabins we see, I can’t imagine how crowded this place will be in just a few more weeks.
Along our drive we see lots of wildlife. We love critter watching more than anything.
Monday May 11th – Sunny day at last!
The clouds have finally disappeared and we can see the mountain tops for the first time since arriving here last Wednesday. Tomorrow we’re heading for South Dakota, a state we’ve never been in.by